VENTOLIN 9.6MG X 100.
Route of administration:- oral drug
Table of Contents
What is Ventolin?
Ventolin is a bronchodilator that relaxes or dilates muscles of the pulmonary pathway and enhances the flow of air towards lungs.
Ventolin is used to treat diseases associated with bronchospasm like asthma and is also useful in problems like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Mechanism of action:-
Bronchodilation: after inhalation of ventolin it combines or binds up with beta -2 receptors present on walls of smooth muscles of pulmonary pathway leading to relaxation of those muscles and hence increased flow of air to lungs
Reduced Airway Resistance: This relaxation or dilation helps in reducing the resistance felt during episodes of attacks of asthma.
Other than relaxation of muscles it plays an important role in clearance of mucus from the pathway avoiding blocking and congestion and leading to more ease in breathing.
Uses: VENTOLIN 9.6MG X 100.
- Coughing , croaking or wheezing.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder
- Exercise induced bronchospasms
- Bronchiolitis( it is a viral infection which affects the smaller pathways of lungs)
It works by binding up with beta -2 receptors present on walls of smooth muscles of the pulmonary pathway leading to relaxation of those muscles and hence increased flow of air to lungs.
Side effects: VENTOLIN 9.6MG X 100.
- Quivering (tremor)
- Faintness and vertigo may occur.
- This medicine can also lead to hypertension thus it is very important to keep monitoring your BP during the period of its intake.
- Fast/pounding heartbeat
- chest pain, irregular heartbeat.
- Rarely, this medication has caused severe (rarely fatal), sudden worsening of breathing problems/asthma (paradoxical bronchospasm).
- Hypersensitivity reactions:- rashes, edema, itching etc..though these events are rare.
Ventolin Contraindications: VENTOLIN 9.6MG X 100.
- Allergy to albuterol: patients who possess allergy to this drug must avoid its consumption since it may lead to hypersensitivity reactions like rashes, edema, itching etc…
- Severe heart problems: This drug leads to an increase in heart rate and hypertension so those with cardiovascular problems must avoid its consumption. It can cause severity in situations of tachycardia, arrhythmias etc..
- Hypertension (high blood pressure).
- Hyperthyroidism: Ventolin may worsen symptoms in individuals with hyperthyroidism.
- Diabetes: Ventolin causes fluctuations in blood sugar levels, so individuals with diabetes may need to monitor their blood sugar levels more closely while using this medication.
- Pregnancy: most of the medicines have the tendency of causing teratogenic effects in the fetus so is ventolin. Thus, it’s consumption must be done after doctors advice in situations like pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding: Albuterol can pass into the newborn via breastfeeding and can cause serious adverse effects.
Precautions: VENTOLIN 9.6MG X 100.
Following are the precautions must be taken before consuming it:-
- Check if you are allergic to that drug or not. If yes, inform your doctor about that.
- Go through the ingredients present in the drug by asking the pharmacist because many times those inactive ingredients can cause serious hypersensitive or allergic reactions.
- Consult your medical history with the doctor such as conditions of heart problems, attacks, hypertension, diabetes, etc..
- It causes dizziness, thus you should avoid doing work that requires attention after its consumption. Avoid consumption of alcohol and drugs along with it.
- During pregnancy to avoid the teratogenic effects on the fetus.
- Beta blockers:-
Beta blockers antagonize the effect of ventolin on relaxation of pulmonary pathways thus it may decrease its effectiveness in situations of bronchospasms and asthma.
Diuretics like furosemide may cause hypokalemia which is also a side effect of ventolin. Concurrent administration of both can reduce potassium levels in the body to a greater extent which is extremely harmful for the heart and muscles.
- Tricyclic antidepressants:-
They increase the chances and risk of cardiovascular side effects caused by ventolin.
Ventolin reduces the effectiveness of digoxin by reducing their serum level.Digoxin is being administered in heart problems.
These when administered with ventolin enhances the effect of bronchodilation.
Ventolin Storage Guidelines:-
- Temperature: 68°F and 77°F (20°C to 25°C). Avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures, such as direct sunlight, heat, or freezing conditions.
- Keep it dry: Keep the Ventolin inhaler away from moisture.
- Away from children and pets: Store Ventolin out of the reach of children and pets to avoid accidental ingestion or misuse.